How perfect are these colorful tostadas for summer? Healthy and really fun to make! The best part is that you can customize it depending on your preferences. Vegetarian? Add more black beans to up the protein content! Feeding kids? Add their favorite veggies and some chicken, you could even swap out the spicy hummus for the original, village or Mediterranean if they’re sensitive to spice.
The tostadas are so easy to make, but the addition of the toasted cumin takes them to a whole other level. It makes your whole kitchen smell like a taqueria in Guadalajara. Which, in case you’re curious, smells unbelievable. Of course, you could substitute out hard tacos or premade tostadas if you can find them. But this technique is so easy, it’s hard to justify not trying it out yourself!
Making your own tostadas is as easy as putting the corn tortillas on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil, brushing olive oil over both sides, and sprinkling them with salt, pepper and toasted cumin. Then you simply bake at 400 degrees for 4 minutes on each side and let cool. Voila! Tostadas quicker than it would take you to even get to the store! You could even pack up the tostada ingredients separately in a cooler and since the Hummustir is shelf-stable at room temperature until mixed, it makes for the perfect summer picnic companion- it even comes with it’s own spoon for stirring and spreading onto your tostada!
Hummustir Mexican Tostadas
4 corn tortillas (I used smaller size, but whatever fits on your sheet pan)
¼ c. Approximately olive oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp toasted ground cumin
One container of Hummustir Blazin’ Hummus Kit
2 C. Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
1 C. Black beans, cooked
½ C. Sweet corn
1 grilled green pepper
1 grilled red pepper
1 grilled yellow squash
1-2 grilled carrots
½ C. Sliced fresh portobello mushrooms
1 grilled red onion, sliced
½ C. Cotija cheese
2 tbsp flaxseeds
1 lime, quartered
Salt and pepper, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a half sheet pan lined with aluminum foil, place the tortillas down side by side WITHOUT overlapping (depending on size of baking sheet, may need two pans). Brush BOTH SIDES of tortillas with olive oil, salt and a sprinkling of the cumin. Place in the oven for 4 minutes, then flip them over for another 4 minutes. Then take them out and let them cool. They will crisp up even more when they’re setting!
2. Grill your veggies (or buy from a salad bar, such as whole foods) and set aside.
3. Assemble your Blazin’ flavor Hummustir and place on the top of the tostada evenly
4. Put chicken on next, followed by: black beans, veggies, cheese, flaxseed, then any salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Before eating, squeeze fresh lime all over the tostada and enjoy!
Find Hummustir here: http://www.hummustir.com/blazin-new-flavor/